Monday, August 11, 2014

Understanding the Principalship with @jaynicholsfnesu (Class #1)

Today I traveled to Colchester, VT, for my first in a year-long series of classes titled, Understanding the Principalship taught by the Superintendent of Franklin Northeast Supervisory Union, Jay Nichols.  I am particularly interested in this course as this is my first year in an administrative role, and I am looking forward to developing relationships with other new and veteran principals whom I know I will learn so much from this year.

At the start of class we were asked to identify some of our hopes for this course in relationship to school leadership and challenges.  Here are some of my thoughts:


  • I hope to gain more exposure to supervision and evaluation models/methods
  • Ideas and examples on how to foster strong relationships in our school and our larger community
  • Tips and suggestions on how to have productive conversations
  • Ways to work with students and staff in viewing discipline as a learning opportunity

Some great resources that were mentioned today:
What Great Principals Do Differently by Todd Whittaker10 Minute In-Service by Todd WhittakerLeadership Wired Blog by John Maxwell
and we'll be reading Leaders of Learning by Richard DuFour and Robert J. Marzano

Each month I'll travel to Colchester to meet with this group to discuss different areas of the Principal position, and we will have the opportunity to hear from experts in various fields relating to education and leadership.  Next month, Vermont Secretary of Education, Rebecca Holcombe, will visit our group.  This course will provide me with peer supports, resources, inspiration, and a chance each month to take a moment to process and reflect on our work at RMS.  I will continue to add my thoughts and reflections here on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment